Saturday, January 5, 2013

Now to be in spring that winter is here







My children, you should not be neglected and some of you will need to be taught how to keep thyself safe from the cold with the remedy of warmth.

I give to you simple things, that might look and sound dorkish, but being warm is something that is a requirement. The problem is most retail outlets are too high priced on anything of worth and yet one can find at times that man made things do indeed work better and last longer than the real materials of nature.

For hats, the mad bomber is a cap which is the warmest of all venues. I do have a rabbit fur one, but also have a Chinese synthetic sheepskin thing which is actually better than sheepskin and at 1/4 the price from a farm supply store.

Socks are best in heavy with some wool, but the military standard issue stocking is a very good wearing device. Always remember that fuzzy things war in clumps and will not last, and most rag woolens will sag down to your toes in a boot.

Boots with thinsulate are the best, not too snug to cut off blood flow to your toes.

I like fleece lined pants. They are heavy, but one does not unless in horrid conditions have to wear long johns which get very old in a long winter cold.

Shirts are a layered thing in a heavy t shirt, a pullover sweatshirt or thermal, and then once again a fleece lined or quilted flannel type shirt.

Real cold requires coveralls. You will not have noticed yet, but a theme is in this to only purchase canvas type material as that does not melt in fire nor snag and rip.
We are dealing with a reality of warm clothing being an investment to last almost a decade.

For a coat, one should have a hood, canvas, with bellows type cord tie to cinch it up around your midsection to keep the cold out. Big pockets filled with things like matches, led flashlight and things are always nice to fondle as one is waiting in line behind people one hoped would stay home.

I like fake sheepskin lined slippers too. Actually have a pull on pair of outdoor boots too that I will wear with thinsulate insoles I have added.

For sleeping, it is something mandatory in cold climates to have flannel sheets. I purchase mine from thrift stores and wash them up. I tend to be odd in I can not keep covers on me in one full layer, and get cold even with masses of covers on top of me. My remedy is an afghan on my lower legs, then a quilt to my mid section, then a lighter quilt to my stomach, and then my trusty Italian wool blanket to my shoulders and of course under that is the flannel sheets.
I have a new sheet I'm testing in some type of flannel stretch thing that is quite warm. Am fascinated by them, as they are warm.
I also have one of those therapeutic pillows with a flannel case that I will put on my head if it gets cold and I sort of find it on my chest most times too as I sleep.

These are the nerd  type clothes children used to get beaten up over, including mittens which are superior to gloves in real cold. As an adult though one can not give a damn about what people think as long as it is not you being frozen and catching some horrid flu.

My Mom actually got me started on drugstore hydrogen peroxide in my ears for colds. You can find the remedy online, but I just swab mine out at the first sign of cold, or itching feeling and it usually takes care of it all.
You can can gargle with it in a diluted mixture, but do not swallow this foaming stuff ever as it expands in your inerds.
It burns in one's nose to when using it for colds and one must always use things with care. It does work though effectively in keeping one from getting a cold and if one does get the flu, it will help rid one of it by a few days.

That should help you children a little bit, but if one shops around, perhaps Walmart has things cheaper.......I did purchase a few years ago as Sportsman's Guide flannel bibs, but the flannel ripped at the pocket which displeased me. The pair of fleece lined pants I have now are some Faded Glory things I literally picked out of the trash in a laundry.
They are far too worn, but my animals like most of my tattered clothes do not seem to mind about things.
The point being in if one is working by oneself one does not require brand names. All of that bothers me in stores like Cabelas and LL Bean sell things for high prices and in Asia where this stuff is made it will not approach 5 bucks with a tip when made.
Of course if Cabelas or Bean would sponsor this blog, along with clothes, I would probably love them greatly and say what a deal they are like all the idiots in camo one sees parading about those establishments advertising their lack of sense.

I believe that is too much information for you to deal with, so will conclude this lecture in clothing.



agtG


Fleece Lined Jeans